You have to know that you have a scheduler which is hardwired into you. This is called circadian clock. This clock will help the body determine when it is time to sleep and wake up. However, there are times that your sleep cycle is disrupted because of many activities like traveling between time zones and late night shifts. Dealing with this can be annoying, uncomfortable and tiring.
If you are working every night, it is important that you manage it so you do not sleep all throughout your working hours. Medical professionals and call center agents especially need tips on managing night shift. It is not easy going against the body clock but if you are serious about it, you will succeed. Many Singaporeans need you so you have to be strong.
Here are some tips to survive the night shift:
- Eat before the shift: There is no problem during the day because the cafeteria has well stocked foods. But when it comes at night, who knows what foods are left. With this, it is important that you eat before your shift. In case you get hungry in the middle of your shift, bring good food.
- Sleep for at least 8 hours during the day: You already know that your schedule is not ordinary. When you come home after your night shift, make sure that you sleep for at least 8 hours during the day. It is quite challenging not to sleep at night because the pace of work may be a bit slow.
- Do not sleep immediately: No matter how sleepy you are, you should not sleep immediately after daybreak. Relax for a while. When the body feels relaxed, it will be ready to sleep.
- Gradually change work schedule: It is good to always work at night because of the deferential pay but it cannot stay like that forever. There will come a time that you will work multiple shifts. If you are transitioning from night shift to day shift, what better way to do it than gradually? Do not make the sudden change because the body will surely suffer.
- Provide conducive sleep environment: You already know that you should not sleep immediately and then if you sleep, 8 hours of sleep is needed. To sleep soundly, you have to use earplugs, sleep mask and black out curtains if you must.
- Do not depend on pills: There are times that sleep does not come easy. You have no choice but to drink sleeping pills. It is not good to depend on pills because it can alter your circadian rhythms.