Congratulations to all the newlyweds out there. Here’s to beautiful days ahead! However, older couples out there would agree that marriage life is not always bliss – after all, life is never perfect. Despite that, we should still be positive that we can endure all of life’s challenger. And for newlyweds, the first struggle is often finding a home or settling-in in general.
In Singapore, newlywed couples often settle for build-to-order (BTO) flats and work their way up. But the challenge does not stop there because after settling in, there are still many difficulties newlyweds might encounter. Those include:
- Too many things in the supermarket: When couples do grocery shopping, they would buy a lot of things because there are just too many things in the supermarket that they think they need only find out that they overspend and overstock. For picky couples out there, choosing between too many things in the supermarket entails time. The more things they see, the longer they linger and decide.
- Too many gadgets: It is no secret that there are too many gadgets here. Some people buy gadgets for the sake of having one. If we want to keep up, we need to buy things. It doesn’t even end there because we still have to learn how to operate these gadgets.
- No internet connection: It was mentioned a while ago that there are too many gadgets in the market. These gadgets will be in vain if there is no internet connection. Today, not having an internet connection is almost like not having a power connection. What’s worse is the overpromising of telecom companies.
- Warranties: There is nothing wrong if we extend our warranties but if money does not permit it, we have to say “no” – for the meantime. For newlywed couples who are just starting, we could use every penny we save in our daily lives.
- Too many things in the household: Newlywed couples are overwhelmed by the thought of their first hope. We have a tendency to pack too many things. But if live in a small flat, we have to be conscious and wise about the things we put because our ultimate goal should be to save space, not to fill it with things. Fewer things also facilitate faster cleaning.
- Overspending for online shopping: If we compare online stores with retail stores, there are cases that online stores offer cheaper items. This is the reason why many people are drawn to online shopping. We have to remember though that online shopping may make us vulnerable to overspending.
We are not saying that life can be complicated here in Singapore. The article only shows a picture of newlyweds and some of their difficulties. Many couples can surely relate from this.