Depression is a serious case. If it is left unresolved, it might be fatal. It is important that you know how to deal with depression. Dealing with depression is a matter of seeing things in a new light and finding the inspiration to move ahead. It sounds easy but in truth, it is very challenging. It will drain your hope, drive and your energy but at the end of the day, you can get through it.
You have to remember that recovering from depression requires an action. If in this case you do not know what to do, you can consider the following tips:
- Start small: The first thing that you should do is start small and from small goals, you can build bigger and better dreams. You may lose your energy but for sure you have plenty for a walk in the park or go with your friends. You have to take things one day at a time. If you achieved something, do not forget to give yourself a reward.
- Cultivate relationships: Depression is like a fog. It will always feel gloomy, dark and sad but if you cultivate your relationships with friends, family and other loved ones, sun will come. Do not forget that you are not alone in the world. Your family, friends and loved ones will be glad to help you. If it makes you feel better, you can join support groups.
- Stay positive: The next thing that you should do is stay positive. Negative things are just there but you can choose not to have it. You have to allow yourself to accept the things that you cannot do. Remember, you attract your dominant thoughts.
- Look after yourself: When you are depressed, it is easy just to stay inside the room and sulk but that is not very healthy for you. You have to look after yourself. You have to sleep at least eight hours. In the morning, you can walk or jog to get sunlight. You have to eat healthy and exercise. More importantly, you have to practice different relaxation techniques.
- Do things you love: Find the strength to do the things you love again. You may be lost but you can find your way. You can begin by reading a good book, watching funny movies, talking to friends, travelling, etc.
Not all Singaporeans are aware that they can get through depression. We all have our depression episodes at some point in our life but the important thing is we do our best to fight it. You have to share this information to your fellow Singaporean to help them.